Thursday, April 17, 2008

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 16, 2008

GREAT 4 MILE RUN TODAY!!
Time: 45:08
Distance: 4.06
pace/mile: 11:07
361 calories

HR was between 150 and 173Bpm

My splits were as follows:
Mile 1: 11:21 145bpm
Mile 2: 11:09 151bpm
Mile 3: 12:31 148bpm
Mile 4: 9:36 158

This run was awesome. After discussing my training stategy with Bruce, I realized that my LHR training is going perfectly. However, based on my training numbers, when I run about a 10min mile at 70% HR, theoretically on paper, when I run a race at 85 -90%, it 'should' translate to about an 8 minute mile, give or take a few seconds (obviously taking into consideration weather conditions on race day), but my problem is, this is not my case when running a race. I do run faster, but not the pace the predictions are saying I should.


Talking with Bruce made me realize my running/stride/cadence, is my PROBLEM. So, I did an experiment today. I knew I would not be able to run my whole run today at 180bpm cadence, as my friend would not be able to join me, and sort of defeat the purpose of running with a friend. So, we ran the first 3.5 miles together, very easy, had great conversation, and then at the 3.5 mile mark I took off and ran as close to a 180bpm cadence as I could, and kept an 8:20 pace for the whole .5 mile. It felt awesome!!! My HR went as high as 173, so I know I could have gone faster (I still don't know my TRUE MAX HR, but my estimated is 188). But, not sure if I could have sustained this pace for the whole 4 miles. But it was great getting the feel.

What I did was I found a free podcast on itunes, it's called Podrunner, and I downloaded the 180bpm song. It was hard to really follow it, but I listened for the beats, and my feet should be hitting the ground on each beat. I really think I did pretty well for my first test/practice. I will try to do this with a run, once a week, to get used to it. Since I just started running in January, I don't have enough of a base to really incorporate intervals/hills/speed work into my training. I don't want to get injured. So in a sense, my races are my speed work for now, and maybe this faster tempo run once a week. We'll try it and see how it goes.


My goal is to be able to get faster. I know I can run faster (my HR indicates such), I just have to make my legs realize they can run faster. With the two races I've run in the last 3 years, at the end of both races, I really didn't feel winded. I want to finish a race, with nothing left in the tank. I want to be completely spent. My problem has been, though I want to accomplish this, I've been running way too cautiously for fear of going out to fast and not being able to finish. Hence, I end up not going out fast at all.


I will use this podcast during my race on Sunday and see if it can keep me at the 8:20 pace. Again, not sure if I can maintain the pace for 4 miles, but my body will tell me that. I am either going to completely bonk and not finish, or have a great PR. Let's hope for the latter:)!!!

1 comment:

BeachRunner said...

Very interesting, very cool and very exciting. This is serving as continued motivation and a great education for me. Keep up the great work.