Wednesday, May 7, 2008

ANOTHER UNEXPECTED TEMPO RUN. AWESOME!!

Well I was supposed to run with my friend today, but she never showed. Our agreement is we wait 15 minutes, and then go, and the one who is late can catch up. So, since I wasn't running with anyone, I decided to just do a very easy 3 mile run. Set my Garmin virtual partner (a.k.a. George) for 3 miles at 36 minutes, and off I went. I stayed ahead, about a 10:14 pace, averaging about 138bpm HR, except where hills went up to 153bpm, but run was going nicely. At just before the 1.5 mile mark, I heard loud footsteps coming up behind me. I turn around, as my friends husband, blows past me. Tells me Denise got stuck doing something and couldn't make it. So I kick it in gear to keep up with Jim. Now this guy runs fast. Jim doesn't have a training run speed. He runs one speed, fast, whether it's a race or a training run. He only runs M W F, so he has plenty of time to recover and that's how he runs. He's in great shape. He's 6' 7" tall. I'm only 5' 4". LOL Can you say mutt and Jeff. Anyway, I decide, since I've been wanting to run with him, I'd do it. So I kicked it up a notch and off we went. I felt good, and was watching my heart rate. My breathing was good, and my legs felt great. The highest my HR went was 173, so much for an easy training run. LOL But man, it felt great. It was nice running with someone who is finally faster than me. But it was funny, though he was running a training run, I could hear his breathing and he was huffing, still maintaining a faster pace than what I was doing, but he was huffing. Now my breathing was fine, and I kept up. I figured I ran about 2 miles with Jim. Miles 1.5 to the finish.
Time: 35:04
Distance: 3.59
Avg Pace: 9:45
Calories: 305
My mile splits were (I'm posting them, because I want to show how I ran with Jim, as opposed to alone).
Mile 1 - 10:14 Avg HR 138 Cardiac Drift: 153
Mile 2 - 10:13 Avg HR 157 Cardiac Drift: 170
Mile 3 - 8:34 Avg HR 166 Cardiac Drift: 173
.59 - 6:01 Avg HR 160 Cardiac Drift: 172
Overall run felt great, and so far the legs feel good. Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day, and then a true slow training day on Friday, will be my last run before the race on Sunday.

3 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Look out NYRR racers, here she comes! You will do great on Sunday.

The Laminator said...

Wow...that's fast, and you felt great?! That's incredible. I think you need to warn the fellow moms on Saturday that they've got a race on their hands.

LIrunner9 said...

Thanks Lam!! Now here's hoping I can maintain that pace for the full 4M. Doing it for about a mile and a half on a training run, is way different than doing it in a race. But I did it once, so I will do my best to do it again!!