Sunday, May 18, 2008

NEW FIRSTS

A few firsts happened to me today. For the first time I ran the day after I ran a race. For the first time while running I felt like I needed water. And lastly, for the first time ever, I almost got attacked by some geese. All to be explained in more detail below.


Well, today I woke up and the legs felt great, so I decided to get outside and run on this beautiful sunny, 60 degree day. Fired up the Garmin, and set off for an easy 5K, but while I was running the legs felt so good instead of going out and coming back the same route, I found myself running on the main street doing the big loop back to my house. It really felt good. It's the same loop I did awhile back (the opposite way), so this time it was all downhill. We'll see how I feel tomorrow, and determine if I will keep up this post race recovery run in the future, but so far so good.


Time: 43:46
Distance: 4 miles
Avg pace: 10:57
Calories: 366
Avg HR: 138bpm Cardia Drift: 161 (because I ran up the hills to my house)
Splits were as follows:
Mile 1: 11:23 133bpm Cardia Drift: 146
Mile 2: 11:08 139bpm Cardia Drift: 147
Mile 3: 10:47 135bpm Cardia Drift: 142
Mile 4: 10:26 144bpm Cardia Drift: 161


The run felt really good, and with each mile I ran it a little faster. I did notice during my run that I got thirsty. Guess it's time to break out the camel back for my runs. As I approached the pond to make my way back to my house, there were a whole bunch of geese. Adult (10) and babies (12 or so). At first I thought it was cute, then I realized that they were on the same side of the road as me, and I quickly switched side, as they were attempting to cross the road. Traffic was coming in both directions, and they didn't realize there were geese, all they saw was me darting across the street. I did look and made sure it was safe, but at that point as the cars tried to pass, and me running, all the adult geese started darting theiry necks and hissing. I couldn't believe it. I don't think they cared about me, but they were sure going to do whatever to protect their babies. Well, I had two choices jump on top of one of the stopped cars, or get the hell out of there. LOL, I chose the latter, and sprinted my fanny out of their view. Hence some of the heartrate spike at the end of my 4 mile run. When I was no longer fearing that I was in trouble, I did have to laugh. Those little geese babies were soooo cute. But note to self. Be on the lookout for geese crossing the street with their babies on the next runs.

3 comments:

CewTwo said...

Interesting about the geese. Never had it happen to me! Good race report, too!

robison52 said...

You have so many "firsts!" I remember those days when everything in running was new and an adventure, conquering my goals, fears and doubts! Thanks for kindling those memories!! Keep it exciting, but not so exciting that geese attack you!!!

Marcy said...

CONGRATS on your 10k! Looks like you did AWESOME!! ;D

OMG that's so funny about the geese. Last Spring I had the same type thing happen to me. I had NO idea that Canadian Geese even hissed. They are nasty little things if you get too close to their young LOL Can you blame then though?