Thursday, May 22, 2008

EASY 5 TODAY

Well, I woke up this morning and the legs felt great! Looked outside and it was gray, but by the time I got the kids ready for school the sun had popped out. Then I got a call from my husband, who was stuck in traffic for an hour and a half, and said it was pouring where he was, just over the Throgs Neck bridge, so I knew the rain was coming. Sure enough when I threw the kids in the car to get them to school, it started drizzling. Now I had to decide, run in the rain or go inside to the treadmill.



Well, I chose to run in the rain, because the one thing I HATE about the gym treadmill, is the time limit if someone is waiting and I wanted to run my 5 miles today in about 55minutes. So, I didn't want to get the boot, so I ran in the drizzly rain. By the 2nd mile the sun came out, and by the 4th, the sun went in, but no rain. So I am SOOOOO glad I chose to run outside. It just felt GREAT!! I changed my run a tad from the last few days. This time I left the house and went down our hill to the water, and then went back up the big hill (Mill Dam), and then ran pretty much what I ran on Monday. The beginning of Mondays run was flat, so with this change, it now starts with hills. I really want to work these hills into my runs so when I run in Central Park again, I won't be affected by the hills during the race. Though I have been told, depending how the course is run, it could be hilly, or you could be running down them. Either way, I want to be prepared, and it felt good running the hills today. According to my Garmin, the hill I added had an elevation at the start of -8 ft, and at the top 225 ft. The grade at the start was -11%, and at the top it was 18%, so since this was in my first mile, the 1st mile was a tad slower:) Really the only time my heart rate spiked was when I was on a hill, other than that I kept it pretty low:)


Distance: 5 miles
Duration: 55:38
Avg pace: 11:07
Calories: 489
Avg HR: 138bpm Cardia Drift: 154 (Not sure what my Max is????)
Splits were as follows:
Mile 1: 11:49 136bpm Cardia Drift: 154
Mile 2: 11:27 139bpm Cardia Drift: 151
Mile 3: 11:21 138bpm Cardia Drift: 151
Mile 4: 10:28 135bpm Cardia Drift: 143
Mile 5: 10:28 140bpm Cardia Drift: 145



As I post this, it is now POURING outside (Torrential) LOL Thankfully the Gods held off so I could get my run in:)

3 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Mixing the route up a bit is a smart idea. Great job!

robison52 said...

I've read about the men's Olympic Trials that those hills in Central Park can be brutal, very smart to incorporate hills in your training. I would run up hills with emphasis on keeping my heart rate and effort on target, although that means a slower pace up the hill--push too hard up hills and it'll affect you later in the race...accept a little cardiac drift, but not over 10 beats per minute...you'll still make up for the lost time during the downhill stretches.

Anonymous said...

I rather run in the rain than on a treadmill! Glad to hear the weather pretty much held out for you. Great run and way to switch up the route. It is always good to mix things up. Have a great weekend.